Friday, December 10, 2010

Summer & Smoke, the opera

I wanted to quickly say how proud I am of my best friend, a fellow opera singer, Allyson Herman, for her amazing performance last night as Alma in Lee Hoiby's Summer and Smoke. More on that later...

*Later*

Yeah, Lee Hoiby is a satisfying composer. What does that mean exactly? Well, to me, Hoiby compositions are a nice balance of wacky-sounding music (strange tonality choices, changing meters, unexpected rhythms and harmonic changes, etc) and beautiful-sounding music (sweet harmonies, lovely orchestrations and dynamic changes).  Interesting fact: Hoiby is a connoisseur of fine wines. I wonder whether he prefers red or white....

I'd like to add a link here so you can listen to a recording, but Allyson says there aren't any. There's a DVD and Manhattan School of Music is working on their own recording, but it isn't ready yet. You can see opening night tonight though! And a matinee performance this Sunday.

No comments: